Classic Italian Bruschetta
Crusty Italian bread topped with tomato, basil mixture.
- 4-5 tomatoes (medium on the vine)
- 4-5 basil, large leaves, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced or finely chopped can substitute shallots or scallions if there are garlic allergies
- 2 tbsp olive oil, extra virgin or regular, cold pressed if you like a stronger olive taste
- 1 tbsp red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 baguette, sliced on the diagonal
- garlic for rubbing toasts or garlic-infused olive oil
Dice tomatoes into small dice.
Arrange basil leaves in a stack and gently roll them up. Slice the leaves to produce thin ribbons. (Chop lightly horizontaly to dice if desired.)
Combine diced tomatoes, basil, and all the rest of the ingredients through salt and pepper and let stand at room temperature for an hour, then store in teh refrigerator until ready to use.
Toast the bread slices and lighlty rub with a clove of garlic.
Top with tomato mixture and serve.